Top 05 WordPress Malware Removal Plugins
Having your WordPress website hacked is a frightening and horrible experience that can leave you feeling violated and an in panic. In such a situation, the best thing to do is take a deep breath and proceed with a cool and pragmatic approach. Install one of the top 05 WordPress malware removal plugins, scan your site and move beyond your site’s issues.
Malware Scanner Plugins for WordPress
The most popular WordPress firewall and malware scanner plugin is WordFence. WordFence distributes a free version and a premium version starting at $99.00 per year.
The plugin consists of 3 core features:
WordPress Firewall – Web Application Firewall identifies and blocks malicious traffic. Built, maintained and continuously updated by the team at WordFence focused 100% on WordPress security.
WordPress Security Scanner – Malware scanner checks core files, themes, and plugins for malware, bad URLs, backdoors, SEO spam, malicious redirects and code injections.
WordPress Security Tools – The plugin also offers an array of security features such as live traffic monitoring, limit login attempts, spam comment filter, and IP address and user agent blocking, email notifications and monthly reports.
2. Cerber Security & Anti-Spam
WP Cerber offers an all-in-one solution to protect, monitor and secure a WordPress installation.
The plugin features one of the best malware scanners, offering a software to monitor file changes, verify the integrity of WordPress, plugins, and themes, and to remove malicious code and viruses from your website.
Once installed, you can choose between a Quick Scan and a Full Scan. During the Quick Scan, all files with executable extensions are tested for infections. During the Full Scan, all files (including media) are scanned for malicious payloads.
Additional features of the plugin include:
- Limit login attempts
- Monitors logins, XML-RPC requests or auth cookies
- Whitelist and blacklist IP addresses
- Custom login URL
- Protect contact forms from spam
- Protect post comment forms from spam
- WordPress, theme, and plugin authenticity check
- Monitor file changes
- Hide wp-login.php, wp-signup.php, and wp-register.php from possible attacks
- Hide wp-admin (dashboard) when a user isn’t logged in
- Disable WP REST API
- Disable XML-RPC (including Pingbacks and Trackbacks)
- Disable feeds (block access to the RSS, Atom, and RDF feeds)
- Disable automatic redirection to the login page
- Weekly security report sent by email
- Protection against DoS attacks
Sucuri is one of the better-known companies in the field of WordPress security.
Features of the Sucuri plugin include:
- Security Activity Auditing
- File Integrity Monitoring
- Remote Malware Scanning
- Blacklist Monitoring
- Effective Security Hardening
- Post-Hack Security Actions
- Security Notifications
- Website Firewall
Please note that the website firewall (WAF) is a premium feature offered at a starting price of $16.66 per month.
In the free version, the plugin will scan your WordPress installation and look for modifications to the core files as provided by WordPress.org. Files located in the root directory, wp-admin and wp-includes will be compared against the files distributed with your version number; all files with inconsistencies will be listed for you to review.
4. Anti-Malware Security and Brute-Force Firewall
One of the best malware scanning solutions for WordPress is the Anti-Malware Security plugin by ELI.
Features of the plugin include:
- Run a complete scan to automatically remove known security threats and backdoor scripts.
- Firewall block SoakSoak and other malware from exploiting known plugin vulnerabilities.
- Download definition updates to protect against the latest known security threats.
Premium features (requires a donation) include:
- Patch wp-login and XMLRPC to block brute-force and DDoS attacks.
- Check the integrity of your WordPress Core files.
- Automatically download new Definition Updates when running a Complete Scan.
When installing the plugin, you will have the option to register an account at GOTMLS.net. If you register an account, you can download the latest security definitions or “known threats” to help you analyze potential threats when scanning your application.
SucuPress, a new service, is one of the best security solutions for WordPress webmasters. An all-in-one solution, packed in a beautiful user interface.
Features of the plugin include:
- Brute force protection
- IP Blacklisting
- Built-in Firewall protection
- Malware Scanner
- Protection of Security Keys
- Block visits from Bad Bots
- Vulnerable Plugins & Themes detection
- Security alerts and reports in PDF format
The free malware scanner stands out as one of the finest products on the market. Not only will the plugin scan your website, but it will also provide a security audit report with recommendations to enhance the security of your website.
Premium subscribers have access to the “auto fix” features of the software, which will attempt to automatically remove and repair corrupted files.